Re: RM and abstract syntax trees

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:33:27 -0800

On Nov 13, 9:26 pm, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:

> Now maybe we can get back to RM and abstract syntax trees, the main topic
> of discussion.
>
> Is there anything about syntax parsing that makes the RM an awkward tool for
> modeling it?

Consider that a string is represented relationally (eg as a mapping between index position and character) and an AST is represented relationally, I have doubts whether RM/RA itself could offer any particular advantages (with its set level operations) for the problem of parsing the string into the AST for some given grammar, even if teamed up with a functional, imperative or logic programming language, or direct support for transitive closure. Either a counterexample or some formal justification for that conjecture would be interesting.

I also doubt whether RM/RA offers any particular advantages for subsequent processing of a relational representation of an AST. For example, does it help with unification?

Does anyone have any insights on these questions? Received on Wed Nov 14 2007 - 01:33:27 CET

Original text of this message