Re: Is it Possible to Enforce This Relationship at the DB Level?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:03:13 -0000

On 15 Oct, 22:59, dutone <dut..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to enforce this based on the data model and its
> relationships.
> Although to me, it doesn't seem possible without an additional layer
> of logic.
> The need for a check assertion in a RDMS tells me that cerain
> cituations must be enforced at a higher level. This is one of them I
> guess.

Maybe your definition of a data model differs from mine. All such constraints are surely part of that model irrespective of what syntax the DBMS uses.

If you have some particular DBMS in mind then maybe someone will have other suggestions about features supported by that product. Perhaps a redesign would also be possible but I'm reluctant to begin a design-by- newsgroup exercise.

--
David Portas