Re: Advanced SQL

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:40:21 GMT

http://www.utexas.edu/its-archive/windows/database/datamodeling/dm/overview.html

http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/rm/overview.html
> >> http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/rm/rm1.html
> >> http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/dm/keys.html
> >> http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/rm/rm7.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Portas
> >>

> The case already mentioned by Jon is one exception to the statement about
> 2NF.
>
> Normalization is concerned with candidate keys not just primary keys, so
the
> definitions are necessary conditions but not sufficient ones.

Yes. You will note, IIRC, that the website discusses normalization repeatedly as if the primary key were the only key under consideration. Indeed, when I first learned normalization, I learned it this wrong way. Not from this website, but from another source.

> --
> David Portas

> Received on Fri Sep 07 2007 - 23:40:21 CEST

Original text of this message