Re: NULLs: theoretical problems?

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:13:40 -0000

On 30 aug, 14:08, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:

> I use a similar notion to def in my own work, but am lacking any
> references for it. You say that it is an established (or at least
> recorded) approach - do you have links to texts, or academic
> references? Or does it have a more formal nomenclature that I could
> search for > my normally leet googling skills are not serving me well.

I'm sorry to say that at the moment I cannot tell you where I got it. The thing that comes closest is Beeson's logic of partial terms, which has an explicit definedness operator for terms. But it lacks the idea of a syntactic restriction that allows you to keep the normal reasoning rules of FOL.

Btw. while looking for that I did find in comp.theory a list of references on logics dealing with undefinedness. It's probably not useful to you because more than you asked for, but I'm giving it anyway:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.theory/msg/884efa5e74a5f68e

Of course, if you really want a formal reference I might consider writing a small technical report about it. ;-)

Kind regards,

  • Jan Hidders