Re: Multiple-Attribute Keys and 1NF

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:58:28 -0000

On Aug 30, 5:00 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> JOG wrote:

> >>I haven't got a clue what you said.
>
> > I just regurgitated leibniz identity.
>
> >>In the RM, every value is uniquely
> >>identifiable by the combination of relation name, attribute name and any
> >>candidate key value. That's logical identity as it was originally
> >>spelled out.
>
> >>Two values above have the same attribute name.
>
> > Now you've lost me. A "value" is not identifiable by its relation name
> > and attribute name. This makes no sense to me. Where in predicate
> > logic does that come from? A value is just a value. It is identifiable
> > in its own right as being an individual from a domain.
>
> I mispoke. "Any value represented in a relvar"

Well it is still just a value whether its in a relvar or not - it needs no extra identity. A database table is just a set of propositions. A proposition is encoded as a set of attribute-value pairs. That's it surely?

Any notion of identity is as defined by set theory.

> > An individual piece of /data/ however (which is perhaps what you mean
> > by a value) has an identity made up of a combination of an attribute
> > name and a corresponding value. One needs both to identify the data
> > item. A proposition in turn is identifiable by its contents, which is
> > a set of those data items. Regards, J.
>
> I repeat: two pieces of data have the same name, Color.

Well no - a piece of data doesn't have a 'name' does it? It's just a combination of attribute and value. The number-7. name-Fred. colorred.  A datum's identity is defined by the /combination/ of these two parts, and that alone - not by a label, or an alias, or an OID (as I'm sure you'd agree).

And if two datum share one of these parts (the attribute component) , well so what - they are still identifiably different things. I'm scratching my head to see the problem you are envisaging here. Received on Thu Aug 30 2007 - 18:58:28 CEST

Original text of this message