Re: Multiple-Attribute Keys and 1NF

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:27:45 -0000

On Aug 30, 1:44 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> JOG wrote:

> >>What would you offer in place of the RM's logical identity.
>
> > Nothing. I am utterly convinced by Date et al's arguments in favour of
> > logical identity. (Why would I need to replace it?) I just wanna model
> > propositions, and they are always identified by their contents.
>
> In: {{(Color: green), (Color: yellow), (Type: earth)}}
>
> What provides logical identity?

I may be misunderstanding you, but let me take a stab. The identity of any set of course lies in its elements (i.e. in this of a single propositions, the ordered pairs). Given we know Colors are the antecedents in the proposition we are modelling, this has to be been defined in the collectivizing predicate for the whole collection of rows. We also know therefore there may not exist another set of pairs containing the same Colors, so we can identify the whole proposition through examination of just those roles. All works just as per normal in RM. Is this what you meant? Received on Thu Aug 30 2007 - 15:27:45 CEST

Original text of this message