Re: Multiple-Attribute Keys and 1NF

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:43:49 -0300

JOG wrote:

> [...]

>>>Green earth
>>>Yellow earth
>>>-----------------
>>
>>>But again this is unsatisfactory as I have lost the information that
>>>one wire is green and yellow, but none is brown /and/ red.
>>
>>>I could introduce a surrogate to give me:
>>
>>>Id Colour Type
>>>-----------------
>>>1 Brown live
>>>2 Red live
>>>3 Black neutral
>>>4 Blue neutral
>>>5 Green earth
>>>5 Yellow earth
>>>-----------------
>>
>>>But this seems wholly artificial given that all the information I
>>>required for identification was available in the original
>>>propositions, and that did not require some artificial id. A [shudder]
>>>non 1NF variation such as:
>>
>>>Id Colour Type
>>>-----------------
>>>1 Brown live
>>>2 Red live
>>>3 Black neutral
>>>4 Blue neutral
>>>5 Green, earth
>>> Yellow
>>>-----------------
>>
>>>is clearly hideous as it denies the fundamental mathematical principle
>>>that that one attribute should take one value from one domain,
>>>nevermind the fact that it introduces query bias.
>>
>>>I could of course introduce nested relations, but I am uncertain as to
>>>the theoretical consequences of having nested relation as a key (I
>>>guess it would be fine, if adding seemingly unnessecary complexity to
>>>subsequent queries). But moreover it again seems unintuitive, given
>>>that in this case it would indicating that the original propositions
>>>contained, as a value for one of their attributes, a further
>>>proposition, and this was not the case.
>>
>>>I am having a crisis of faith with the way 1NF is currently viewed.
>>>Any ideas to solve my dilemma? Am I on my own in being perturbed?
>>
>>>Regards, Jim.
>>
>>There is one obvious way to represent that in 1NF:
>>
>>Create a color domain where a single value represents green and yellow,
>>another value represents green, and a third represents yellow etc. The
>>domain could even represent thick green/thin yellow as a separate value
>>from thick yellow/thin green if one chooses.
>>
>>Regardless whether one creates only the domain or also uses it as a
>>candidate key for some sort of lookup table, the resulting relation is
>>simply:
>>
>>Colour Type
>>======= -------
>>
>>Your ID above is one example of such a domain. However, the domain need
>>not be numeric or have any external numeric representations. It need
>>only exist with a distinct value for green and yellow.
>
> Well, practically, the surrogate key is the way that I would go. My
> question is rather whether this corresponds naturally to the original
> propositions, which don't require a new domain in order to be

You assume a color domain so imagining a different color domain changes the design without adding anything new.

   I seem to remember a while back there was a

> discussion involving Marshall and a few others considering situations
> where a nested relation was /necessary/ (I need to have a dig for it),
> and it didn't sit comfortably then.

I would argue that nested relations are never necessary; although, they are certainly handy at times. I would choose the discipline of base relations having no nested relations. In fact, the princicple of cautious design suggests--as tools evolve toward nested relations--to allow them only in derived relations. Received on Tue Aug 28 2007 - 18:43:49 CEST

Original text of this message