Re: normalization review

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:43:20 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> landonkelsey wrote:
>

>> 2 is violated ...why?

> Because you have made up a set of FD's whereby it violates 2nf.

The second sentence that mentioned candidates contradicted the first but as a spec, I thought the first one was precise enough: "A telephone call is uniquely identified by telephone number and time of call."

That made it seem clear to me that cell phones aren't involved and even if they were, I thought they could move between transmitters during the call. Anyway, without the second sentence, seems like it isn't BCNF as several others mentioned, with the second sentence, seems like it isn't 2NF as Bob B clarified. Once normalized, I would have thought any question involving location would have to do with the application, not normal form.

p Received on Tue Aug 28 2007 - 01:43:20 CEST

Original text of this message