Re: normalization review

From: Larry Coon <lcnospam_at_assist.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:57:43 -0700

landonkelsey wrote:

> What normal form is violated here?

Since you've provided an imprecise description without elaborating the FDs, I don't think it's possible to answer.

You might be implying an FD from telephone number to telephone location, but I certainly wouldn't take it as a given. For example:

  1. A cell phone can be at any location.
  2. A land line might be given up by one customer, and later reassigned to a new customer.

> What could fix the problem?

A more precise description of the problem. It's certainly not at the point where a database developer could begin to develop a schema -- so why then would you think it's at a point where one could normalize it?

> A telephone call is uniquely identified by telephone number and time of call.
> These candidate keys compose the composite primary key. There is another
> attribute/column “telephone location”.
>
> telephone number | time of call | telephone location(precise)

Larry Coon
University of California Received on Mon Aug 27 2007 - 17:57:43 CEST

Original text of this message