Re: NULLs: theoretical problems?

From: Ed Prochak <>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:04:05 -0000

On Aug 20, 8:18 pm, Gene Wirchenko <> wrote:
> Bob Badour <> wrote:
> >David Portas wrote:
> [snip]
> >> 4) Have the right schema to start with so that no problem arises.
> >But that would dampen the straw!
> Break eggs for an omelet; dampen straw for bricks.
> Sincerely,
> Gene Wirchenko
> Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
> I have preferences.
> You have biases.
> He/She has prejudices.

I wonder how much of these discussions on NULL are echoes of discussions about numbers when ZERO was first introduced? Both are a practical solution to realworld business problems. 8^)

How's this proposition?
NULL can only be totally eliminated in a static database. Real world production databases need to deal with the situation of "we just don't know yet!", so we'll always have NULL.

just some thoughts from a simple non-theorist. Ed Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 23:04:05 CEST

Original text of this message