Re: Sixth normal form

From: Bruce C. Baker <bcb_at_undisclosedlocation.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:01:33 -0500

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:ZLbsi.23504$fJ5.6912_at_pd7urf1no...

> Brian Selzer wrote:

>> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

>>>I was with you up 'til the first comma in the last paragraph. It sure
>>>doesn't have to do with redundancy. First there were rigid keys, then
>>>contingent keys, now we have immune keys. Newcomers please note - don't
>>>believe this mumbo-jumbo, it is all undefined mysticism, as is the term
>>>"key update".
>>>

>> Are you saying that Codd's use of "key update" in his definitive1970
>> paper was also mumbo-jumbo?
>
> Yes.
>

>> Isn't it strange that people who can't come up with a solid argument
>> resort to misrepresentation, nitpicking over terminology, and outright
>> derision. Often they end up with their foot in their mouth.
>
> No, it isn't strange to me, I see it all the time.
>

>>>Also, I would like to know if anybody has ever invented a relational
>>>algebra or calculus that supports "update". AFAIK, update is either a
>>>system colloquial, environmental or a language, say SQL, term. Yeah, I
>>>know people say "update" a tuple et cetera and I think that's okay if it
>>>is agreed and understood just what exactly the system or dbms they have
>>>in mind is going to do about the "update". In the recent threads, I
>>>don't and I'm pretty sure we don't either.
>>>

>> It should be obvious that relational algebra and calculus are meant for
>> queries, not updates. Unlike the operators of relational algebra,
>> neither insert, update, nor delete returns a result. Nor does relational
>> assignment. More importantly, the algebra and the calculus involve a
>> single database value (set of relation values), a snapshot of reality if
>> you prefer. An update operator (as D&D call them) involves two snapshots
>> of reality, and truth in one does not imply truth in the other.
>>
>> Before you make a complete fool of yourself, I suggest you read Codd's
>> 1990 book. You should be able to find it online now. I did. I can't
>> remember where, though.
>
> Let me know if you remember.  A salesman stole mine.

You can find the .pdf at the ACM Digital Library;

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=77708

But it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to buy a copy from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0201141922/ref=dp_olp_2/104-9019283-7102314

or Abebooks

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=relational&sts=t&an=codd&y=0&x=0 Received on Thu Aug 02 2007 - 05:01:33 CEST

Original text of this message