Re: I think my book may be wrong about cardinality, but I'm not sure

From: Bruce C. Baker <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:53:25 -0500

"Bob Badour" <> wrote in message news:46a8fca4$0$8833$
> Bruce C. Baker wrote:
>> "Cimode" <> wrote in message
>>>On 26 juil, 18:21, "Bruce C. Baker" <>
>>>That's what I suspected (Date's algebra).
>>>Thank you anyway for providing some sources (I do appreciate the
>>>effort). The purpose of my questions was to raise the issue that one
>>>may *arbitrarily choose several math constructs to describe the *non
>>>flat* nature of relations. Choosing a POINT in N dimensionnal space
>>>(correlated to N attributes) to describe relation tuple set is just
>>>one *possible* math construct choice and such choice has implications
>>>I never felt confortable with. If I apply Date's definition replacing
>>>the *n* by some values:
>> Good point! (Please excuse the pun; an opportunity like this arises only
>> once in a lifetime. :-) )
>> What /does/ an empty tuple represent? Is it some sort of NULL, as opposed
>> to a null /set/?
>> And since the tuples in a relation must all be distinct, that would seem
>> to imply that a non-empty relation having no attributes could contain
>> only a single "null tuple". Could this "null relation" serve as an
>> identity element for joins?
>> Let me get back to you ... :-)
> Not null. True. A non-empty 0-ary relation is the relational equivalent of
> True. An empty 0-ary relation is the relational equivalent of False.

Allow me to correct a poor word choice in my previous post: When I wrote NULL, I was thinking along the lines of a null reference, as in C or C#, NOT a SQL NULL.

I think I see where you're going with True and False as defined in your post, though ... Received on Thu Jul 26 2007 - 22:53:25 CEST

Original text of this message