Re: I think my book may be wrong about cardinality, but I'm not sure

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 03:39:47 -0700

On 26 juil, 03:13, "Bruce C. Baker" <b..._at_undisclosedlocation.net> wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

> > David Portas wrote:
> >> "beginner16" <kaja_love..._at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> No. An N-degree table implements an N-ary relationship between
> >> attributes - attributes which may well identify other entities. Do not
> >> assume relationship = foreign key. A foreign key is just one type of
> >> constraint (not necessarily the only one) for enforcing referential
> >> integrity in RM.
>
> > Just a side question, since I see the term "N-ary relationship" quite
> > often. If a relation has N attributes, doesn't it implement (2**N)-1 or
> > 2**N relationships or thereabouts? Or is that what the term means and
> > I've been misunderstanding it all this time?

> Each tuple in a relation with N attributes corresponds to a point in an
> N-dimensional space, with each attribute being orthogonal to all of the
> others.
What does that mean ? How is a single attribute orthogonal to N-1 attributes part of the same relation?. What do you exactly designate as *orthogonality*? Why would a tuple necessarily be a point and not a line ofr plane in geometrical N-space? What about degree 0/1 relations? How does a degree 0 relation represent a point in space? Received on Thu Jul 26 2007 - 12:39:47 CEST

Original text of this message