Re: Lots of Idiotic Silly Braces?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:58:56 -0300

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>> paul c wrote:

>>> The predicate somebody intends by this grouping could be "Shipment S
>>> included the set of parts {P}".  If we then ask "what combinations of
>>> parts have been shipped?", a knee-jerk reation might be to project
>>> away the S attribute:
>>>
>>> {P}:
>>> {3,4}
>>> {3}
>>

>> This represents it as one table.

> I guess I was using the word "table" pretty casually. I'm fairly sure
> Codd didn't mention it much, talking rather of "normalization", and
> maybe I shouldn't suggest to compare the two, eg., he said:
>
> "Normalization proceeds as follows. Starting with the relation
> at the top of the tree, take its primary key and expand
> each of the immediately subordinate relations by
> inserting this primary key domain or domain combination.
> The primary key of each expanded relation consists of the
> primary key before expansion augmented by the primary
> key copied down from the parent relation. Now, strike out
> from the parent relation all nonsimple domains, remove the
> top node of the tree, and repeat the same sequence of
> operations on each remaining subtree."
>
> If I follow this literally, I suppose the fact that I can't "strike out
> ... all nonsimple domains", means that I am left with what I started
> with, namely a relation, you are saying that the table and relation in
> this case are one and the same, and you might say I am grasping at
> graphical representation that is an impossible over-simplification!

Because the primary key is {P}, if you follow the instructions literally, you will normalize the relation to:

{P} P
==== ----

{3,4}   3
{3,4}   4
{3}     3

I do not believe his instructions anticipated a relation valued primary key. Received on Tue Jul 17 2007 - 00:58:56 CEST

Original text of this message