Re: Career questions: databases

From: Bruce C. Baker <bcb_at_undisclosedlocation.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:46:11 -0500

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:4689b480$0$4318$9a566e8b_at_news.aliant.net...
> Bruce C. Baker wrote:
>
>> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>>China now that Mao's stupidity is over.
>>
>> They're on the right path economically; Politically, they haven't even
>> /found/ the path.,
>
> We have plenty of examples to show us that western democracy is not
> required for making successful societies who can cooperate on a massive
> scale and for mutual benefit.

Not /required/, but democracy certainly helps. Capitalism seems to trump state-directed economies, and it seems to work best when _individuals_ stand to benefit.

> The ruins of the world have cultures that conflict with creating fully
> functioning nation states. See, um, what's his face on consanguineous
> marriage... Stanley, um, Kurtz is it?

Sorry, Bob; that ref was way over my head! :-)

> Tribal affiliation interferes with any sense of civic duty or national
> pride.

We've gotten /way/ OT here. I wouldn't have responded to the OP's post at all had he not dissed /my/ tribe. It's a little disingenuous to bash the "white man" while simultaneously enjoying the benefits of western European medicine, technology, political traditions, etc.! Received on Tue Jul 03 2007 - 04:46:11 CEST

Original text of this message