Re: Career questions: databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:26:33 -0700

Neil wrote:

>> "Different to" is the British usage and has been since before
>> Shakespeare's time.  If you check _Chambers Dictionary_ (1998), you'll
>> find the following usage for the word "different":  with _from_, also with
>> _to_ and (_esp US_) _than_.  If you check _Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
>> Dictionary_ (11th Edition), a common U.S. dictionary, only "different
>> from" and "different than" are mentioned in the usage section of the entry
>> for the word "different."
>>

> Two points.
>
> One, we're not living in Shakespeare's day anymore, so get over it.
>
> And two, Brits don't know nothing. If they did, then they wouldn't have lost
> their world empire, and wouldn't have needed us to bail them out in WWII.
>
> So, since, if it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German anyway, I suggest
> you learn proper American English, and learn how to talk good. That's what I
> say!
>
> Neil

Enough of this nonsense. It has no place in c.d.o.s and unless you haven't checked recently it is those very same Brits bailing your country's sorry behind out in Iraq right this second. You owe a number of people an apology. Not least of which is the rest of us in the US tarred by association by such John Wayne jingoism.

So knock it off or take it off-line and go eat your freedom fries somewhere else.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group