Re: Career questions: databases

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:25:56 GMT

"Neil" <nospam_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:GFaii.23715$C96.11802_at_newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...

> >> I think the point was that some felt that you were full of cow
excrement
> >> for
> >> putting those things on your resume. So, the question is: at what point
> >> can
> >> one put things on one's resume? Does one have to be expert in a
> >> technology
> >> in order to put it on one's resume? Or does a proficiency in some areas
> >> of a
> >> technology warrant putting it on one's resume?
> >
> > I don't care to what extent others might stoop to and it's clearly not
> > my problem. I have questions and I'll try my best to get my answers.
> > I'm not here to make friends with people so that they'll invite me
> > over for a cup of tea. Since most people around here are more bothered
> > with levels of proficiency and who the upstart I might be, here's the
> > questions again:
>
> I think you're taking it all wrong (and making too much of yourself, to be
> honest with you). DA Morgan gave you some advice based on his experience,
> with the intent of helping you. At the end he wrote, "Lists like this
create
> an immediate negative impression except in
> HR departments staffed by former shoe salesmen. <g>" He was trying to give
> you some friendly advice to help you be successful with your resume. The
> conversation then snowballed into an abstract discussion about what is or
> isn't proficiency.

I think his advice is dead wrong, by the way. Most HR departments are NOT staffed by IT professionals. Their evaluation of resumes is more likely to be driven by whether the resume meets ALL the minimum criteria established for the job. If the job calls for XYZ proficiency, and the resume doesn't say XYZ proficiency, it gets pitched. As to whether the candidate's proficiency rises to the level expected for the job, that doesn't happen until later in the selection process. Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 20:25:56 CEST

Original text of this message