Re: Career questions: databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:49:54 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "Bruce C. Baker" <bcb_at_undisclosedlocation.net> wrote in message
>

>> What do we call DBAs who are somewhere between incompetent and proficient,
>> and what would their qualifications be? In general, how many levels of DBA
>> ability are there, and what does one have to know/be able to do to qualify
>> for each of them?

> "Coming up to speed" or "associate DBAs".

Except that there are some who have been DBAs for 10+ years, have the title Senior, and couldn't choose between a B*Tree, bitmap, bitmap join, compressed, descending, function based, nosegment, or reverse index if you offered them early retirement. And with 11g there will be one more index-type added to the mix putting them even further behind.

Sorry to say but there are some people who will never come up to speed because they are lazy and don't want to continue their education past the final interview.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington