How to flush data most efficiently from memory to disk when db checkpoint?

From: Sune <sune_ahlgren_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:27:54 -0700

Hi,

I'm looking into designing an in-memory DB and I wonder:

How to flush data most efficiently when I checkpoint?

Say I have a page size of 8K and 1K of those have been updated in random places, that is, the changes may be contiguous but most likely they are not.

Will it always be more efficient to flush the whole page instead of keeping track of each element and write them to disk one by one? Obviously, if I did this I would flush them from page offset 0 to the end of the page, in that order.

Sorry to bother you with such elementary questions but I want to get things right from the beginning, and other people's experiences are usually very helpful.

Thanks for your time
/Sune Received on Sun Jul 01 2007 - 03:27:54 CDT