Career questions: databases

From: dreamznatcher <tashfeenmahmud_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:49:33 -0700

Hello,
I'm considering a career switch to a more database-related job, but need help on a few questions and issues. I'm a Computer Engineering graduate and have always felt most comfortable creating databasedriven  applications, preferably for web portals.

[My questions:]
1. What are the most viable career options for me out there? What profile do I fit in?

2. What is the current job market/salary situation for database professionals? With my current skills, what kind of job might I end up with?
3. What are the stuff I should focus/learn to advance my skills optimally?
4. And finally, is there any university degree (MS) specializing in databases anywhere? (I'm also deeply interested in the internal mechanism/theoretical aspect of databases.)

_Please read my (following) profile before replying!_

[I'm proficient in: ]
- Oracle (8i, 9i), MySQL (4.1.xx), MS Access

[I feel my strengths are: ]
- I can design database systems (I don't know if that's the right
name to call it) on a very
short notice. However complex the application, it never takes me more than a few hours (in the
very extreme of cases, and including drafting frontend layouts) to chalk the whole thing out.
- I'm good at debugging, and am extremely meticulous about good
coding practices and error and exception handling.
- I'm good at designing good, clean webpages and emphasize on an
optimal use of CSS.
- I'm quick to learn.

[Among professional projects I've done are: ] 1. A Content Management System (CMS) for a running national daily newspaper

2. A complete University Management System
3. An image archive containing thousands of photos
4. A website for a newspaper

Help! And many thanks in advance.
dzn Received on Sat Jun 30 2007 - 10:49:33 CEST

Original text of this message