Re: How would a relational operating system look like?

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:13:32 -0600

Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Lately, I came to put a version of Microsoft Vista on my desktop. As
> I am accustomed to with Microsoft OS's, I am bracing for the impact of
> how much extra RAM will be consumed when adopting a new generation of
> OS to make it function prperly. For Vista, I found out it is a
> nightmare! To make the usual applications I use (mainly
> administration tools), no less than 4Gb of RAM are required to avoid
> the screen *hanging on*/reeze effect one gets when openning several
> applications simultaneously. As a result I went back to XP Pro more
> and more despaired by the utter unefficiency of current OS and
> Environments. Convinced that a perfect OS is nothing else than a
> relational OS, I kept dreaming about building one someday.

do a little cleaning of boxes in the basement, found

Notes On Data Base Operating Systems, RJ1288, 2/23/78, 111pgs, James Gray.

ABSTRACT: This paper is a compendium of data base management operating systems folklore. It is an early paper and is still in draft form. It is intended as a set of course notes for a class on data base operating systems. After a brief overview of what a data management system is, it focuses on particular issues unique to the transaction management component especially locking and recovery.

misc. other posts mentioning system/r
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

the bibliography from a System R web site: http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/bib.html

also mentions that the above paper appeared in "Operating Systems: An Advanced Course", Springer-Verlag, 1978, p. 393.

The document is standard CMS script (gml) document format (reproduced from copy printed on 1403/3211 with TN chain). Virtualized CMS was standard internal personal computing environment ... first with cp67 which later morphed into vm370. The system/r implementation was done as virtualized operation under vm370.

This is 40yr old new thing, now starting to take on renewed life.

For a little topic drift in this thread:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#64 Operating systems are old and busted
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#65 Operating systems are old and busted
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#67 Operating systems are old and busted
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#68 Operating systems are old and busted