Re: Hierarchical query

From: Vadim Tropashko <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:54:31 -0700

On Jun 14, 10:35 am, Jan Hidders <> wrote:
> On 14 jun, 18:41, Vadim Tropashko <> wrote:
> > I was going to define tree query in pure language settings, be it
> > regular languges, context free grammars, or else.
> ?? How does one query a set of strings in a "pure language setting"?
> Of course you might select certain strings from the set with something
> that accepts strings from a certain language, but that is clearly
> inadequate because you cannot take the "context" of the node into
> account.

And what the node's "context" would be? A set of attributes? If so, then we are in pure relational world. I don't feel comfortable, however, that we use the two completely different mechanics: languges for parsing and building the derivation tree, and relations for querying.

The question is if all these attributes are not redundant and can't be collapsed into a single attribute. Then language approach would become possible. Received on Thu Jun 14 2007 - 19:54:31 CEST

Original text of this message