Re: A new proof of the superiority of set oriented approaches: numerical/time serie linear interpolation

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2007 09:23:33 -0700

On 29 avr, 17:48, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> Cimode wrote:

> I do believe it's helpful to try to write down a predicate. When I try
> this it's not clear just what Distance and ArrivalTime are attributes
> of. Whereas they make more sense to me when they are attributes of
> pairs of ID's. I suspect we get into trouble with the RM when we don't
> do this.
Your instinct is correct. I guess one of the points here is to demonstrate that set oriented are inherently superior to procedural approaches regardless of several factors: design quality (the given design certainly is underoptmized) and direct image systems limitations...Once more, RM comes to help...

> Can't comment on the SQL, most of that language is beyond me, but it
> does seem that if the ID's can be paired and assuming SQL can isolate
> pairs that fall into some pair interval, explosive procedures can be
> avoided, ie. each tuple that does have a known ArrivalTime ought to be
> physically retrieved only once.
SQL is quite redundant but it remains better than procedural loopholes.
On a fundamental perspective, all I can say is that the question of interpolation is difficult to express formally and very little material has been written on the subject. I believe I could write down an entire book on the underlying fundamental issues which fascinates me. Such book would be a follow up on temporal issues already identified in previous works.