Re: Where is everybody?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2007 10:36:16 -0700

On Apr 11, 4:45 pm, Matthias Klaey <m..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> (sorry I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that the corpus of
> mathematics that underlies database theory is still very much
> underappreciated, even here.)

Most of the people here are working software engineers. I would say that an underappreciation of underlying mathematics is endemic. I suspect that the contributions of software engineering are underappreciated in the mathematical community. We generally have to tackle much larger, more complex, less well defined problems than they do, under more stringent computational conditions. Nonetheless there are those such as Aloha who seek to bridge the gap. The reference to further reading is helpful; the ironic comment less so.

Marshall Received on Sun Apr 15 2007 - 12:36:16 CDT