Re: Is it possible to use a database though any high-level API?

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:25:23 +0200

beachmountain_at_hotmail.com schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> I hope I am posting this in the correct group, I am quite new to
> usenet posting.
>
> I have only been working in the computer area for a couple of years,
> and my experience with databases is limited to a five week course
> during my education.
>
> As I think about an application I want to develop, I have a question
> about databases that I would love to have someone shine a light on.
>
> The question is, is there any programming tool available so that I do
> not need to contruct a database "by hand", that is, I would like to
> have an API to use so that I can easily store the implemented objects
> in my object-oriented solution without caring about how they are
> stored?
Yes, lots. But the question, as always then becomes: Why do you need a database at all?
You can share files or web sites, but the purposes of a database are guaranteed integrity, relational computations, a formal approach to data modelling, triggers, integration capability and so on.
If you don't need all this, then use any persistence layer. You'll get results faster.
Trying to abuse a relational database into the role of a storage subsystem is like using C++ for inline assembly programming (and wondering at which point the advantages of C++ become apparent).

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.