Re: Is it possible to use a database though any high-level API?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:48:16 GMT

beachmountain_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I hope I am posting this in the correct group, I am quite new to
> usenet posting.
>
> I have only been working in the computer area for a couple of years,
> and my experience with databases is limited to a five week course
> during my education.

As they say: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

> As I think about an application I want to develop, I have a question
> about databases that I would love to have someone shine a light on.
>
> The question is, is there any programming tool available so that I do
> not need to contruct a database "by hand", that is, I would like to
> have an API to use so that I can easily store the implemented objects
> in my object-oriented solution without caring about how they are
> stored?

Sadly, yes, many such "tools" exist.

> It seems to me that it would be a perfect task for a computer to
> translate my objects into relational tables or some object-oriented
> representation. It seems redundant that I should have to create TWO
> models, one in the object-oriented implementation, and one for the
> database (for instance creating tables with columns and so on), when
> the two models are just different representations of the same objects
> and relations between objects (or am I totally wrong here?)

Relations are much higher-level abstractions than object classes. Doing what you want amounts to wrapping your object classes in assembler to more easily integrate with machine language programs.

But you are far from unique in your desire. Received on Thu Apr 12 2007 - 16:48:16 CEST

Original text of this message