Re: Database Design Patterns?

From: Doug Morse <morse_at_ikrg.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:10:24 +0000 (UTC)

hi bob,

as an academic in both computer science and cognitive psychology, i couldn't agree with you more re: the importance of a thorough training on the fundamentals. and certainly "half-baked" recipies are of little value, if not outright damaging.

that said, though, pattern recognition tied to appropriate actions is without question one of the core aspects of expert functioning and behavior. "patterns" books in any field that accurately capture and represent how experts "organize their world" and "see things" and then take action on what they see will always be of great value.

of course, as with anything else, there are good ways and bad or "half-baked" ways of going about something. i guess my point is simply to caution against "throwing out the baby with the bath water": patterns, done right, are an invaluable type of knowledge representation and knowledge sharing.

doug