Re: choice of character for relational division

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:08:43 GMT

Marshall wrote:

> Let us consider the choice of characters to use for
> relational operators. It might be desirable to use
> different characters for the relational operators from
> the scalar ones, so we avoid using * for join, even
> though it is in some sense a product operator.
>
> Set subtraction already has a standard character
> in common usage: \
>
> But we also need a character for relational division.
> The / character is often used, but that's the same
> as numerical division. Bummer.
>
> So, if you had to choose an ascii character for
> relational division, which one would you use
> and why?

Does a unique relational "division" exist? If "product" has a completely different name "join", why should a "divide" use the same name?

If we have an equality operation for relations, does a "divide" operation give us all that much? Received on Sat Mar 31 2007 - 18:08:43 CEST

Original text of this message