Re: Bidirectional Binary Self-Joins

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:24:02 -0600

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com> writes:
> so there was a joint project between the vlsi tools group and various
> database people from STL (also where IMS went on) ... where all
> relationships were bidirectional and physically instantiated. However,
> instead of doing it as exposed record pointers (as in ims) ... it was
> done as indexes ... ala the system/r metaphor ... but since there were
> a huge number of (bidirectional, instantiated) relationships ... there
> was also huge forest of such indexes.
>
> this is the type of stuff that we use for the RFC index
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm
>
> and the various merged taxonomies and glossaries
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#glosnote

re:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007q.html#22 Bidirectional binary self-joins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007q.html#24 Bidirectional binary self-joins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007q.html#25 Bidirectional binary self-joins

i.e. all the information is maintained in an infrastructure that directly instantiates bi-directional relationships ... then applications are used to generate html files for the website http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html

one of the issues is that the html generation applications attempt to simulate the extensive bi-directional relationships with (one-way) hrefs ... which partially accounts for the extremely high density of "hrefs" per mbyte.

this possibly accounts for what appears to be all the major search engine crawlers using the site as regression test ... with avg. of 1000 hits/day just from crawlers from all the major search engines. Received on Sat Mar 31 2007 - 13:24:02 CEST

Original text of this message