Re: Another Bidirectional Join Example

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2007 22:02:04 -0700

On Mar 30, 9:32 pm, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> Another example of the bidirectional self join is the "borders on"
> relationship between two countries.
>
> If France borders on Spain, it follows that Spain borders on France. If
> Andorra does not border on Luxembourg, it follows that Luxembourg does not
> border on Andorra.
>
> Perhaps this one is easier to discuss than the soccer games example.

Minor related comments:

This "bidirectionality" is exactly the difference between edges in a directed graph and an undirected graph.

A relation that exhibits this property is called "symmetric." A relation R on AxA is symmetric if for all (a, b) in R, (b, a) is in R.

I'm toying with how to express some of the queries we've mentioned in my own notation. (Perhaps someone can do the same in TTM?)

Marshall Received on Sat Mar 31 2007 - 07:02:04 CEST

Original text of this message