Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Aloha Kakuikanu <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2007 10:05:02 -0700

On Mar 29, 11:04 pm, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 mar, 22:54, Bernard Peek <b..._at_alpha.shrdlu.com> wrote:
> > In fact there are already two systems that do that. One is XML, the other is
> > ODBC. I understand that ODBC uses a primitive dialect of SQL to select data
> > for transmission. If it could be replaced by a better language then it might
> > be usable.
>
> I am curious about this statement. More than 4 ou of 5 dbms's (namely
> ORACLE, DB2, SQL Server) can perfectly communicate db to db using
> ODBC, OLE DB or Native providers. Why exactly would XML be necessary
> on all of them because one out of 5 minor technologies do not use
> XML? Is there any *good reason* XML is necessary?

You don't need ODBC to copy the data from one database to the other. You need to execute 2 commands:

create database link remoteDB <connection details>;

create table Emp as
select * from Emp_at_remoreDB;

You can even join 2 tables from different databases. The details how database support it are not important. Received on Fri Mar 30 2007 - 12:05:02 CDT