Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_alpha.shrdlu.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 20:54:28 GMT

On 2007-03-29, David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote:

> You've gotten lots of answers to that question, but all of those answers
> beg the following question: why would you want to do those things outside
> the context of a DBMS, if you could do them inside the context of a DBMS?

Good question.

If I could manage the transfer inside the DBMS I would. There is little point in translating the data into XML then back into native format again.

If all database systems had a standard interface to do that with then we could just connect the databases together and move data around.

In fact there are already two systems that do that. One is XML, the other is ODBC. I understand that ODBC uses a primitive dialect of SQL to select data for transmission. If it could be replaced by a better language then it might be usable.

--
bap_at_shrdlu.com
In search of cognoscenti