Re: Fixed Point Arithmetic

From: Marshall <>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 10:58:23 -0700

On Mar 29, 9:36 am, Bob Badour <> wrote:
> David Cressey wrote:
> > Are fixed point numbers a useful from for DBMSes to support?
> Logical and physical independence demand one answer the last question
> with "Yes, absolutely".

Well, I would say that means they are useful to *be able* to be supported, but I would proposed that the merits of any given format are what determine whether it *should be* supported.

Physical independence means we ought to be able to plug in our own sorting algorithms, but that doesn't mean we want to support monkey sort.

Marshall Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 19:58:23 CEST

Original text of this message