Re: Fixed Point Arithmetic

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 10:58:23 -0700

On Mar 29, 9:36 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> David Cressey wrote:
>
> > Are fixed point numbers a useful from for DBMSes to support?
>
> Logical and physical independence demand one answer the last question
> with "Yes, absolutely".

Well, I would say that means they are useful to *be able* to be supported, but I would proposed that the merits of any given format are what determine whether it *should be* supported.

Physical independence means we ought to be able to plug in our own sorting algorithms, but that doesn't mean we want to support monkey sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_sort

Marshall Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 19:58:23 CEST

Original text of this message