Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 08:29:44 -0700

On Mar 29, 6:52 am, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> View network sharing seems however to be the only fundamentally
> optimal solution. The receiver of some EDI information is simply a
> remote user from the perspective of the dbms. In such perspective,
> defining views the receiver can interpretate and openning the right
> ports (with an adequate TCPIP topology) is much simpler than adding an
> entire applicative layer to handle the *carrying* of some
> encapsulated message. In other words, I strongly doubt of the real
> need for sending a message (be it CSV or XML or anything) as opposed
> to simply sharing a view.

I strongly agree.

I'll go a bit further. I imagine a world where the schema that a given piece of client software is embedded in that client. When it connects with the dbms, it tell the dbms the schema it expects, and the dbms dynamically constructs a view for that client, if possible.

Marshall Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 10:29:44 CDT