Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 05:22:34 -0700

On Mar 28, 9:29 pm, "Daniel" <danielapar..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2:52 pm, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I *perfectly* understand. I am trying to trigger some
> > thought by questionning with some people but I am failing miserably at
> > getting across the point of XML absurdity.
>
> Your case isn't convincing, though. Not many people would agree with
> you that CSV files provide a rich enough structure to serve as a
> replacement for XML. If you had proposed something like JSON instead,
> I would have taken your argument a little more seriously. As it is, I
> don't think you fully understand the problems that are being solved by
> XML. It would have been nice if people more theoretically inclined
> had reflected on these problems and proposed something more elegent,
> but in the absence of that, we're left with the work of the XML
> people. And it does work, it is useful.
If you ask me, I believe some people have already thought of that but were not heard by industry.

I have implemented view sharing on several MPLS WAN private VPN's between retailer and manufacturers. I have found that less cumbersome than using XML or message based EDI. CSV is an exampleof flat file but I could have stated TXT with header instead. I guess the point I am trying to stateis that I am not convinced that XML does bring anything as opposed to a flat file with a header (except maybe for the reasons you have stated).

Regards Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 14:22:34 CEST

Original text of this message