Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:07:37 GMT

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:XADOh.84427$DN.30453_at_pd7urf2no...
> JOG wrote:
> > On Mar 28, 11:07 pm, Bernard Peek <b..._at_alpha.shrdlu.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I often describe myself as an engineer. I'm always looking for an
"elegant
> >>solution" too. But I'm basically in favour of XML because it rather
> >>elegantly solves some problems for me.
> >

> > I'm intrigued. What problems does XML solve that could not be adressed
> > in a more elegant way? I am yet to come across such a problem (and in
> > my relatively short time on google's green earth I have written a lot
> > of cod).
> >

> >>I have a rather different view
> >>because these days I'm a long way from hands-on development work, except
on
> >>my own supremely baroque projects. Perhaps it only seems simple because
> >>allow the complicated stuff to whistle over my head.

> In other words, just like most Western legal systems and political
> ideologies! Eg., the fuzzy notions of human equality. Should suit
> most adherents to those ..., hehe.
>
> Sorry if I've offended, but it really shouldn't bother me - this usenet
> group, after all, is as political as any other!

It's more political than some. Appropriately so. If you've been around databases for any length of time, you've noted that databases attract more office politics than almost anything else in IT. The only databases that don't attract political issues are the unimportant ones. Dare I say, "the trivial ones"? Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 11:07:37 CEST

Original text of this message