Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_alpha.shrdlu.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2007 22:18:51 GMT

On 2007-03-28, JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm sure there are many people who have been through the same
> experience as myself using xml as a transport format:
>
> 1) Observe the popularity of XML and the supporting libraries in the
> language you are working in.
> 2) Implement a transport layer using XML to parse messages/data etc.
> 3) Realise that your server/application is now over ten times slower
> than it was before.
> 4) Remove XML and replace with something far simpler, far less verbose
> and vitally far /quicker to parse/.
> 5) Curse XML for wasting your bloody time and never let it darken your
> door again.

I stopped worrying too much about performance when I realised it was cheaper for me to replace a server than to sit down and work out how to make the existing one more efficient.

Efficiency is a measure of output per unit of input. People can have radically different ideas about the efficiency of a system depending on just what units they think efficiency should be measured in. In the situations I've worked in, processing time (even when running a 70 hour batch job) hasn't been critical. So worrying about it was not efficient use of my time.

--
bap_at_shrdlu.com
In search of cognoscenti