Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2007 19:30:39 -0700

On Mar 28, 4:56 pm, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm intrigued. What problems does XML solve that could not be adressed
> in a more elegant way? I am yet to come across such a problem (and in
> my relatively short time on google's green earth I have written a lot
> of cod).

One in particular: widespread agreement to use it.

Personally I despise that the signal to noise ratio (content vs metadata ratio) is so low - it is entirely too easy to lose the actual data.

But the fact that a lot of people from disparate/desperate organizations are willing to use it does cut through a lot of the political crap that goes around defining file formats.

Besides that, it has the advantage of having oversized helper libraries that will do anything except bake pizza (XBkr?) and so it appeals to the Java and the .Net crowds. ("Did you get your homework done?" "No Ma ... I got about 60% done before I got diverted. But look ... the part that works can also do this. That's really kool!" )

<g> Received on Wed Mar 28 2007 - 21:30:39 CDT