Re: Mixed, or conditional, datatypes

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:19:15 -0700

Chris Edwards <cme_at_ihug.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>I suppose another approach would be to store the response as a single
>attribute of a domain that supports the values "lifelong resident" (and
>perhaps "never lived in the US") in addition to numbers for indicating
>the length of time since moving there. Of course, realistically, you'd
>probably just record the date the respondent started living in the US
>(which could be their date of birth, for a lifelong resident).

     Maybe not realistically. I lived in the U.S.A. for about twenty months. I moved back to Canada. If I go Down There again (and I might), what should the row(s) corresponding to me state?

[snip]

>BTW, is it a coincidence that the "variant record" construct in C is
>called "union"?

     I do not think so, as it defines a union of possible values.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.