Re: Modelling Disjoint Subtypes

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:24:43 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> ///

>>As an aside, there exists systems in which the storage cost
>>*at runtime* for type information is zero, because the types
>>exist only at compile time, and are completely removed
>>after.

> If you are saying what I think you are saying, then I disagree.

I'd disagree too, because if Marshall is right, what would be the point of the type in the first place?

> For example, let's I have
> float x, a, b;
> x= a + b
>
> If I look at the variables x, a, and b at runtime, the type is gone. ...

But I can't agree with that unless you mean the type is gone because you are looking at bits in memory, which is a kind of switching of gears. One can make anything disappear if one mentally switches gears often enough.

p Received on Sun Mar 25 2007 - 20:24:43 CDT