Re: 'Theoretical' DB OS

From: <christianlott1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2007 02:25:54 -0700

AS/400:

I/O architecture
An AS/400 system is actually an intelligent network of computers: database I/O is handled not by direct constant intervention of the CPU, but instead by processors dedicated to database and "channel" I/ O.

I can only imagine to have a better idea of what hardware architecture the db will run best on after this file format problem is hashed out.

As for DB2 - I have no intentions of implementing SQL. From what I can glean, there is a fundamental set of operations a data system must handle. This core set will be implemented as individual functions with parameters. Assign them to variables, sequence them and there's your query.

Is there a list somewhere of file formats used for different databases to compare and contrast? Or are they all basically column based with a superkey?

Christian Received on Sun Mar 25 2007 - 12:25:54 CEST

Original text of this message