Re: What file structure for this type of data ?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:02:01 GMT

cnlai wrote:

>>>2. In a database, what file structure is used for processing the above
>>>queries ?
>>
>>wrt. #2, what kind of database?
>
> I have no particular database in mind when I wrote this post.

Different dbmses provide different physical file structures. A relational dbms tries to make the physical file structure less relevant by representing the data as relations (tables) regardless of the file structure.

A simple relation (table) with two attributes (columns) suffices for the queries. Using SQL and assuming a table name of T, one might write:

  1. select category from T where product = ?
  2. select product from T where category = ?

Which physical structures are suitable will depend on a large number of factors including the size of T, the relative frequency of different queries, the concurrency requirements, the frequency of updates, the types of updates etc. Received on Thu Mar 22 2007 - 13:02:01 CET

Original text of this message