Re: Negative Numbers in "Identity" or" Autonumber" fields

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2007 09:24:44 -0700

On Mar 21, 8:28 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:

> >>It has to have at least one possible representation.
>
> > Can you elaborate? Why does it need at least one?
> > What breaks if it doesn't?
>
> How does one express any literal without at least one possible
> representation?

Okay, sure, yes, that's a point. But that's more of a structural objection than a functional one. What breaks if a type doesn't have literals? What about the model requires literals?

In the case of equality, I can point to what exactly breaks if a type doesn't support it: join. Specifically equijoin requires some kind of "equi-".

What breaks if a type doesn't have literals?

I'm not particularly attached to this construct, but if it is flawed I'd like to be able to put my finger right on it.

Marshall Received on Wed Mar 21 2007 - 17:24:44 CET

Original text of this message