Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:29:36 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> Alfredo Novoa wrote:

>> "To instantiate" means to give an example, and it is not an apt for
>> mathematics term.

> Actually, "instance" and "instantiate" come from logic, and in logic,
> instances are values. However, OO abuses these words as badly as it
> abuses so many others.

Just a side comment - I remember reading one of the earlier Java specs, around 1996 or so and couldn't counter the impression, as much as I wanted to, that the spec was written after the first implementation. I wonder what the spec for "Oak" looked like.

Not to disparage Jave, there's much behind it, if not in it, that I like but I'm trying to limit myself to three or four sentences these days.

p Received on Mon Mar 19 2007 - 23:29:36 CET

Original text of this message