Negative Numbers in "Identity" or" Autonumber" fields

From: Tam OShanter <tam_at_oshanter.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:08:22 GMT

Any thought's on using negative numbers as surrogate primary keys?

Working with some folks who are of the opinion that using ranges such as -1,-2,-3 is appropriate for surrogate keys for code tables.

I'm of the opinion that this is impractical, as, you can't show someone -1 apples or -1 cars (or whatever you are identifying...).

Not seen this before.

I realize, as long as these values meet the criteria of being a Primary Key (that is unique and not null) there is no problem (technically) with this approach.

Thought on this approach as a matter of form?

Thanks for the feedback.

T. Received on Mon Mar 19 2007 - 20:08:22 CET

Original text of this message