Re: A database theory resource - ideas

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:39:33 -0600

"Bruce C. Baker" <bcbakerXX_at_cox.net> writes:
> I view the period 1960-1980 as the "Golden Age" of computer science
> publishing. It was in this time frame when Knuth, Date, et al began their
> writing careers. 1980 saw the transition to PCs and the beginning of the
> decline.
>
> I bought my first "serious" computer book circa 1975, Madnick and Donovan's
> "Operating Systems", for a whopping $14.95. Still got it! ;-)

for other (science center) topic drift ... misc. past posts about a lot of the early relational stuff all being done on cp67 and/or vm370 (and/or in 545 tech sq).

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#1 Designing database tables for performance
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#31 Quote from comp.object
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#36 Quote from comp.object
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#37 Quote from comp.object
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007f.html#15 Designing database tables for performance

While going to school, Stu was also doing a lot of work at the science center.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

Amoung other things, he implemented the CMS SCRIPT command ... document formater. He also left around some number of "MAD" labels in various places in the source. Of course it was also during this period that "G", "M", and "L" invented GML at the science center ... and GML tag processing was added to CMS SCRIPT command. GML later evolved into SGML, HTML, XML, and other forms. misc. past post http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#sgml

And the first webserver in the states (and outside Europe) was on the vm/cms system at SLAC ... from recent thread: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#29 old tapes http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#39 old tapes Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 21:39:33 CET

Original text of this message