Re: A database theory resource - ideas

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 04:31:38 GMT

paul c wrote:

> dawn wrote:
>

>> On Mar 16, 9:58 am, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Heh heh, and they are not even mutually exclusive ;-)

I suppose it might look that way to one who is too stupid to comprehend simple english.

>> May I be on the committee to decide whether something is a logical
>> argument? big smile.

In response to Jim's original question, I was thinking the best thing he could do is explain the difference between logic and sophistry with lessons on how to recognize either.

>>> - where does most ignorance lie in our field?
>>
>> so many possible responses to that straight line

But none of them hold a candle to "Dawn" as a suitable answer.

>>> - are there are any crucial topics that you believe it would be useful
>>> to address that I have not listed.
>>
>> Emperical evidence to support theory.

Jim, please do not assume you need to teach the spelling of empirical based on the above; Dawn has proved herself incapable of learning which excludes her from your audience. However, teaching the difference between "hypothesis" and "theory" and pointing out the specific contextual meaning in mathematics could help some--see my remarks above vis a vis recognizing sophistry. Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 05:31:38 CET

Original text of this message