Re: A database theory resource - ideas

From: Bruce C. Baker <bcbakerXX_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:24:58 -0500

"Walt" <wamitty_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:zkIKh.1762$FS5.917_at_trndny09...

> "Bruce C. Baker" <bcbakerXX_at_cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > My suspicion is that such a body of information would be
>> > able to grow for a long time. That is, I wouldn't think it
>> > would be particularly important to try to identify all
>> > the topics up front.
>> >
>> > That said, here are some of my thoughts:
>> >
>> > The purpose of normalization is the elimination of update
>> > anomalies, not space savings. (Dammit!)
>> >
>> > A Guide to the Normal Forms. These were hard for me; when
>> > I first started reading about them, the best information I could
>> > find generally plops you down in the middle of a bunch of
>> > fairly abstract statements about functional dependencies etc.
>> > and I had a really hard time linking it to anything familiar.
>> > It would be cool to have something that lists what all the
>> > functional dependencies are, identifies what the important
>> > ones are, and focuses on them. (BCNF, anyone?)
>> >
>> > Re:
>> > and integrity.
>> >
>> > I'd go further and emphasize that structure is in fact the least
>> > and the easiest of these.
>> >
>> > And how about an explanation of the term "query bias?" That
>> > one really took me a long time. In fact in general I find that,
>> > lacking the long-term exposure to data management and lacking
>> > the educational background in same, that a lot of the terms in
>> > the data management field are opaque. And like in most fields
>> > the terms tend to get used with the assumption that the
>> > listener already understands the terms and their long history!
>> >
>> > In fact I came to my first deep understanding of the fact that
>> > hierarchies can only organize around one dimension after
>> > wrestling with a particular tree in a particular app for a long
>> > time. I think this could be explained, with examples, in a way
>> > that was quite useful.
>> >
>> > A quick thought: it might be desirable to use examples that
>> > aren't customers/invoices or suppliers/parts. I think this
>> > contributes to the overall impression that RM is only for
>> > accounting applications. There might be some advantage
>> > to playing against type, like when Robin Williams plays the
>> > bad guy. Maybe a database of MP3s or something?
>> >

>> Lots and lots of simple, tightly-focused examples. Think "RDBMS for
>> Dummies"! :-)
>>

> I have a bias against the "for dummies" series of books. When I open a
> book
> to learn something, I'll easily admit to ignorance. I don't expect to
> label
> myself as stupid. I don't I don't think an author who confuses those two
> is
> doing me any favors.

In retrospect, "... for Dummies" was perhaps not the happiest title choice. And did they have to make the covers /bright yellow/? :-)

> Sometimes I look for books "for dummies" in the bookstore, just to amuse
> myself.
>
> My favorites:
>
> Bridge for Dummies.
> Pregnancy for Dummies.
> Aristotle for Dummies.

"Sex for Dummies" (The 3rd ed.! The mind boggles ... :-) )

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Dummies-Psychology-Self-Help/dp/047004523X/ref=sr_1_1/103-9458982-7988624?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174099832&sr=1-1

> On a more serious note, what I find wrong with the approach of lost of
> simple tightly focussed examples is that, generally, what the author
> underestimates is my capacity for abstraction. Making the same point over
> and over again with lots of examples is like denormalizing the data, and
> storing the same fact in multiple places.
>
> Well chosen examples don't suffer from this, I'll admit. But well chosen
> examples tend to be mutually orthogonal.

I could definitely support a few well-chosen examples over many mediocre ones. Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 04:24:58 CET

Original text of this message