Re: A database theory resource - ideas

From: Bruce C. Baker <bcbakerXX_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:20:42 -0500

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:SIGKh.11289$PV3.116242_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

> Bruce C. Baker wrote:

>> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>>The single biggest problem in our industry is a lack of fundamental
>>>knowledge and basic education. A recipe book and examples will do nothing
>>>to address the problem and will serve only to perpetuate it.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> Bob, have you ever read a "... for Dummies" book? If so, you'd know that
>> they're /primers/, not cookbooks.
>>
>> I stand by my statement that a concrete example can reinforce and
>> complement an abstract technical explanation.
>
> Yes, I have. And I have spent countless hours evaluating various books on
> the subject of databases. One will find any number of cookbooks full of
> concrete. One can go to any bookstore and clear out 99% of the computer
> science section without losing anything worthwhile.

I wholeheartedly agree. Computer science publishing is not what it once was.

Some examples of the ("classic" or current, database-related or otherwise) one percent that doesn't suck are ...?

> Even as vocational training books, they suck.
>
> Teach fundamentals and principles. Start small and build. Anything else is
> a waste or worse.

"We don't need no stinkin' principles. We gotta get that app out /yesterday!" *Sigh* Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 02:20:42 CET

Original text of this message