Re: A database theory resource - ideas

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:34:58 GMT

Bruce C. Baker wrote:
> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Bruce C. Baker wrote:
>>
>>>"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>><snip>

>>>A short, simple example can sometimes bring home the point of a long and
>>>detailed technical explanation. One reinforces the other. Don't take my
>>>"RDBMS for Dummies" suggestion /too/ seriously! :-)
>>>
>>>The "... for Dummies" books can indeed be too simplistic, but as a
>>>/starting point/ for a complete newbie, they serve very well.
>>
>>The single biggest problem in our industry is a lack of fundamental
>>knowledge and basic education. A recipe book and examples will do nothing
>>to address the problem and will serve only to perpetuate it.

> Agreed.
>
> Bob, have you ever read a "... for Dummies" book? If so, you'd know that
> they're /primers/, not cookbooks.
>
> I stand by my statement that a concrete example can reinforce and complement
> an abstract technical explanation.

Yes, I have. And I have spent countless hours evaluating various books on the subject of databases. One will find any number of cookbooks full of concrete. One can go to any bookstore and clear out 99% of the computer science section without losing anything worthwhile.

Even as vocational training books, they suck.

Teach fundamentals and principles. Start small and build. Anything else is a waste or worse. Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 01:34:58 CET

Original text of this message